Superfoods were identified in a book by the Scripps Clinic’s Dr. Steven Pratt in a book called “Superfoods Rx.” Superfoods are packed with nutrients that help humans fight disease, provide energy and keep people healthy. They should be an important part of everyone’s diet. There are 14 superfoods.
Superfoods often come with sidekicks, which are foods that relate to or support the main superfood.
Superfoods and their sidekicks
Superfoods are listed below, as are sidekicks, where appropriate.
- All beans.
- Blueberries (purple grapes, cranberries, boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, blackberries and cherries).
- Broccoli (Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, turnips, cauliflower, collards, bok choy, mustard greens, swiss chard).
- Oats (wheat germ and ground flaxseed are considered super sidekicks; other sidekicks include brown rice, barley, wheat, buckwheat, rye, millet, bulgur wheat, amaranth, quinoa, tritcale, kamut, yellow corn, wild rice, spelt and couscous).
- Oranges (lemons, pink grapefruit, white grapefruit, kumquats, tangerines and limes).
- Wild salmon (Alaskan halibut, canned albacore tuna, sardines, herring, trout, sea bass, oysters and clams).
- Soy and all forms of it.
- Spinach (kale, collards, Swiss chard, mustard greens, turnip greens, bok choy, romaine lettuce and orange bell peppers).
- Tomatoes (red watermelon, pink grapefruit, Japanese persimmons, red-fleshed papaya and strawberry guava).
- Skinless turkey breast (and skinless chicken breast).
- Pumpkin (carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and orange bell peppers).
- Walnuts (almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts and cashews).
- Yogurt (and kefir).
Dr. Pratt followed up “Superfoods Rx” with a second book, entitled “Superfoods Healthstyle.” In this book, he added more superfoods (and superspices) to his list. These foods, and their sidekicks, include:
- Apples (pears).
- Avocado (asparagus, artichokes and extra virgin olive oil).
- Dark chocolate.
- Extra virgin olive oil (and canola oil).
- Garlic (scallions, shallots, leeks and onions).
- Kiwifruit (pineapple and guava).
- Onions (garlic, scallions, shallots, leeks and chives).
- Pomegranates (and plums).